Protect Your Account!
DO NOT share personal information with unsolicited callers or texters claiming to be with Shell FCU. We will NEVER ask for your Digital Banking User ID or Password. If YOU initiate contact with us we may send you a one-time authentication code. If uncertain, hang up and call Shell FCU at (713) 844-1100. Thank you for the opportunity to serve you!
At Shell Federal Credit Union, we believe the confidentiality and protection of member information is one of our fundamental responsibilities. And while information is critical to providing quality service, we recognize that one of our most important assets is our member´s trust. Thus, safekeeping of member information is critical.
To ensure that members can rely on the quality of products and services we offer, our Credit Union stands behind the following privacy guidelines:
- The Credit Union will only collect personal information necessary to conduct our business. That means only what is necessary to provide competitive financial products and services and no more. We collect this information about members from applications and other forms, information about member transactions with us, and information we receive from consumer reporting agencies.
- The Credit Union discloses non-public personal information about its members and former members to companies that offer financial products and services, including insurance products and securities brokerage companies.
- The Credit Union will partner only with businesses that follow strict confidentiality requirements. The businesses we select will offer products designed to enhance our members‘ economic well-being. Under no circumstances will we authorize those firms to charge a member‘s account without receiving your express consent, and we will not sell member information to telemarketing firms.
Shell FCU will protect the personal information of its members. Shell FCU will maintain strong security controls to ensure that member information in our files and computers is protected. We limit employee access to confidential member financial information to those employees with a business reason for knowing such information. Additionally, we maintain physical, electronic, and procedural safeguards that comply with federal regulations. This Online Privacy Statement applies to Shell FCU´s webpages, mobile applications, digital banking applications, and digital advertising campaigns, collectively referred to as “digital property.” In addition to the privacy practices described within this statement and the Shell FCU Privacy Notice, social media sites may have their own privacy policies that you should understand prior to using their services to interact with Shell FCU
Information We Collect
When using a Shell FCU digital property we may collect three categories of information about you.
Personal Information: We may collect personally identifiable information about you such as your name, address, phone numbers, email address, or other information that identifies you. This includes information you provide via applications, forms, subscriptions, contest entries, or other means of collection.
Non-public Information: Through your interactions with us, such as applying for a product or service, we may collect non-public information about you such as your Social Security number, tax identification number, driver´s license number, income, Shell FCU telephone password, occupation, or other types of non-public information.
Online Behavior: We may collect information about the Internet Protocol (IP) address of the device(s) you use to access Shell FCU´s digital properties; your operating system and browser type; referral website information; your digital property usage and page views; your social media preferences (e.g. likes, interests, profile, etc.); your geolocation; and aggregate or non-personally identifiable information.
These categories of information may be collected by Shell FCU, or by our third party service providers, through use of various technologies, such as cookies, web beacons, pixel tags, or other technologies, to associate your online use of our digital properties and/or with offline personally identifiable information.
We may use information collected from a Shell FCU digital property to acquire additional information about you from our marketing partners or service providers. For example, when you submit an application for membership or for a financial product or service, we may use the Social Security number you provided online to access a consumer report which may contain a credit score and information about your creditworthiness to determine if you meet our underwriting guidelines.
When interacting with Shell FCU on a social media platform that is not owned by Shell FCU, never include sensitive personal or non-public information. Communications with Shell FCU about your application, membership, and accounts with us should only take place on Shell FCU´s secure digital banking platform which includes online and mobile banking. Social media sites are not an appropriate place to conduct or discuss your financial transactions.
Use of Online Technologies to Collect Information
Shell FCU may use technologies to store information on your computer when you visit a Shell FCU website. For example, cookies may be used within Shell FCU websites to enhance website security, improve website effectiveness, tailor the sites to your individual preferences, and improve our marketing campaigns
A pixel tag, also known as a web bug in an embedded image, is an invisible tag placed on a webpage to register when a particular computer visits that specific page. These tags and beacons are used in combination with cookies. Shell FCU places these on its web properties and in online advertisements to better personalize your experience with Shell FCU and to understand aggregate website usage and patterns.
Accepting Cookies. Most web browsers automatically accept cookies. If you do not wish to receive cookies, refer to your browser's online help for further instructions and information on setting cookie preferences. If you turn off cookies, you may not be able to use some Shell FCU´s Digital Banking features.
Third-Party Websites. The Shell FCU web properties may direct you to other sites on the Internet to provide additional information or services that may be of interest to you. Third-party websites may have privacy and security policies different from Shell FCU. Please review the privacy and security policies of websites reached through links from Shell FCU websites.
We may use the information we collect online and that which we pair it with offline to:
- Market our products and services or those of our trusted partners
- Make a decision about your application for a product or service
- Provide software enhancements
- Service, manage, or collect on your account
- Offer special deals or promotions
- Process transactions initiated by you
- Authenticate your identity or information you provided to a form or login
- Perform everyday business tasks such as data analytics, digital property experience optimization, fraud prevention, security enhancements, or product and service improvements
- Respond to your questions or inquiries
- Comply with federal, state, or local laws; civil, criminal, or regulatory investigations; or other legal requirements
- Use data collected by analytics like Google
Shell FCU may disclose all of the information collected, as described above, to companies that perform marketing services on behalf of Shell FCU or to other financial institutions with which Shell FCU has joint marketing or other contractual agreements. Shell FCU may also disclose non-public personal information about its members under other circumstances as permitted or required by law and as described in the Shell FCU Privacy Notice.
Shell FCU restricts access to non-public personal information about its members to Shell FCU employees and approved third parties working on our behalf who have a specific business purpose in utilizing member data. Shell FCU employees are trained in the importance of confidentiality and member privacy by maintaining physical, electronic, and procedural safeguards that comply with federal regulations and leading industry practices to safeguard members´ non-public personal information.
What Members Can Do To Help Protect Their Privacy
Shell FCU is committed to protecting the privacy of its members and consumers, you can help safeguard personal information by following these security tips provided as examples:
- Protect your account numbers, plastic card numbers, PINs (personal identification numbers) or passwords. Never keep your PIN with your card, which can provide free access to your accounts if your card is lost or stolen.
- Use caution when disclosing your account numbers, social security numbers, or any other private information relating to your accounts to other persons. If someone calls you explaining the call is on behalf of Shell FCU and asks for your account number, you should beware. Official Shell FCU staff will have access to your information and will not need to ask for it.
- Keep your information with us current. Please let us know if your mailing address, email address, phone number(s), or name changes. It is important that we have current information on how to reach you. If we detect potentially fraudulent or unauthorized activity or use of an account, we will attempt to contact you immediately.
- Let us know if you have questions. Please do not hesitate to call us – we are here to serve you!
- Monitor account activity. Monitor your account activity regularly either online or by reviewing your monthly statements and report any unauthorized transactions right away.
- Ensure your username and password are not the same as any other accounts or logins.
Privacy of Electronic Transactions
Encryption: Electronic interfaces with members (such as internet transactions) will always be encrypted using the latest industry standard encryption protocols.
Account Access: Member account information and transactions will be protected by a password that must be used in conjunction with a username or account number. Members must apply for this capability and be registered with the Credit Union for authentication purposes.
Links: The Credit Union will frequently link to other sites as a convenience to our members. The Credit Union will seek to link with other sites that adhere to similar privacy standards. However, the Credit Union is not responsible for the content of linked sites, or for their policies on the collection of member information.
Online Privacy of Children's Information: The Credit Union will not collect, use or disclose online information received from children under age 13 without prior parental notification and consent, which will include an opportunity for the parent to prevent use of information and participation in the activity. Online information will only be used to respond directly to the child's request and will not be used for other purposes without prior parental consent.
- The Credit Union will not distribute to third parties, other than its affiliate, personally identifiable information without prior parental consent
- The Credit Union will not post or otherwise distribute personally identifiable information without prior parental consent.
- The Credit Union will not entice by the prospect of a special game, prize or other activity, to divulge more information than is needed to participate in the activity.
- Personally identifiable information collected online from their children may be reviewed by a parent or guardian upon written request. The parent or guardian has the right to have information deleted and instruct the Credit Union to cease collecting further information from their child.
- Shell FCU may contract with a third party for financial literacy education purposes. Parents should refer to all third party privacy policies for information regarding data collection, opt-out requirements and all other parental rights as required by law.